Sunday 3 July 2011

: knitting (Nøstebarnvest)

I love knitting, although I am a complete amateur at it. I taught myself to knit after I had just stopped smoking cigarettes many years ago, and I needed something to do with my hands. (Obviously this was way before my hands were constantly occupied by my the demands of BabyLove or endless chores around the house - or both.) Anyway, it worked out excellently in the capacity of keeping my hands busy. And I found a new hobby!

So I thought I would start sharing a few of my knits and links to some of my favourite knitting blogs.

A while ago I finished knitting a cute little vest for my girl using a pattern found in the book Strikk til Nøstebarn. I knitted it in one of my favourite yarns: Babysilk from Du Store Alpakka, which consists of 80% baby alpakka and 20% silk. It is wonderfully soft to the touch, it regulates your body temperature, and is not the least bit itchy! This is how it turned out:



Of course I forgot to take pictures of it before my little girl wore it (and stretched and pulled at it), so please ignore the uneven stitches...

This Nøstebarn pattern is only available in the book, as far as I know. However I have seen several similar patterns published for free, so I am thinking this is probably based on an old pattern which has been handed down through generations. One pattern which is quite similar to the one I knitted  can be found at Ravelry: ruth's babytop. I think I just made a wider border and chose seed stitches instead of garter. I love the look of seeds! Just like little beads in a row.

BTW: Ravelry is a great source to countless brilliant patterns of all designs, sizes and degrees of difficulty! I would recommend anyone into knitting to register (for free) and go browsing through the library. Another excellent source is Garnstudio. They even have many of their patterns translated into the Scandinavian languages - and English!


Happy knitting! And have a lovely Sunday!

♥ tonje

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks :) I sure appreciate your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...