Sunday 19 June 2011

:: a time for recreation

As a mother of an energetic and demanding two-year-old, I realize I have silently joined the masses of women formerly known as individuals. I no longer take the necessary time to myself required in order to preserve that sense of being a person of individual contents and value in the world. 

It's not to say I don't enjoy Motherhood - I deeply love it! I am completely in love with my little girl. Actually, even at the most troubling of times, when I might think I am about to implode from multilateral pressure combined with a permanent state of being sleep deprived, I can generate a genuine sense of inner happiness at the mere thought of my toddler and her sweetness. However, that aside, what I did yesterday I would wholeheartedly recommend any mother (or father) out there to indulge in every now and then: I treated myself to a day of self-pampering! 

It started in the morning when I allowed myself to sleep in. I stubbornly ignored the twitches of guilty consciousness I observed forming in my gut as my my daughter called my name, wanting me to join her in the living-room. When I eventually did get out of bed, I indulged in a long, slow brunch and warmly welcomed and reciprocated my girl's loving cuddles, simply reaping the benefits of motherhood.
When the time came for her to nap, I sent her and her daddy out for a walk in the park - while I went for a facial! OH SWEET JOY! Now, I am not even going to mention the state my skin is in. There is really no point. I will focus on the sensation of being groomed and cared for. Just lying back and relaxing while a pleasant dermatologist gets rid of your skin nasties, followed by a gentle stroking and cleansing ritual, and last but most importantly: heavenly rubbing of the neck and shoulders. 
Picture borrowed from winerose.com
Yup! I could definitely deal with this day repeating itself more often.

After the facial I went for a little stroll down the nearest shopping street; no hurry, no rush. I ended up going all by myself to this lovely restaurant called Kolonihagen. Just me, my iPhone and my mac. This place is quite unique in an Oslo perspective. It reminds me a little of the kind of cafes and restaurants you find in London. And it is not just a restaurant, but rather a concept. All the ingredients they use are seasonal and based on local, organic farming. They even have a service where you can subscribe to having a basket of select fruit and veggies of your choice delivered to your home.
But aside from the obvious awareness appeal of Kolonihagen, the restaurant is also absolutely charming and beautifully decorated, in my opinion. It is clearly inspired by the French country style, but with an edge. I really enjoyed the atmosphere. And check out how they serve their bread as you wait for your order:
 How adorable is that? They served me two kinds of bread, organic butter and finger-salt. The names of each item is etched into the wooden tray, as you see.
They have gotten their liquor license in order, and thus serve alcohol, but me still being in the serene mode after my facial experience, I ordered an organic fizzy drink instead.  
 CHEERS! And take care everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks :) I sure appreciate your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...